Table of Contents
Installing a network printer on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
- your ZEDAT login and password
- the name of the printer you want to connect to
- the following instructions will only work on a computer connected to the local network within the physics department network or the eduroam wireless network
- the model name of the printer (optional but recommended)
See also: Apple Knowledge Base How to manually add a Windows shared printer
- Select System Preferences… from the Apple Menu:
- Select Print & Fax from the System Preferences window:
- Click on the small +-sign below the list of already installed printers:
- Right-click on the empty space on the toolbar next to the Windows button and select Customize Toolbar…:
- Drag the Advanced button to the toolbar and click it:
- Choose Windows for the Type:
- If you are unsure about the exact printer model, choose Generic PCL Laser Printer below Print Using…:
- If you know the printer model, select Select Printer Software… and choose the right model from the list. If your specific model is not listed, you will have to download additional drivers from the Apple Support Downloads website first.
- After clicking the Add button you will be asked for options installed on the printer (e.g. duplex units or additional paper trays):
- You should now be able to print to the network printer. When printing, you will be asked for your ZEDAT account and password:
Installing a network printer on Mac OS X Snow Lion (10.7)
- Open your web browser and point it to the web interface of the CUPS printing system on your Mac: http://localhost:631/admin. Click Add Printer.
- When prompted, please enter the username and password for an administrator's account on your Mac (usually this is the first account created on the Mac). Scroll down to the end and click Windows Printer via spools.
- Type smb://wprint.imp.fu-berlin.de/printername (where printername denotes the name of the printer you want to add) in the text field Connection and click Continue.
- The text fields in next window are to be filled in with the information about the printer like its name and location. When done, again click Continue.
- Choose the manufacturer of the printer you want to add. After clicking Continue there are different models available.
- If the driver for your printer is not listed, please download and install additional drivers from the Apple support page http://support.apple.com/downloads/. Search for manufacturer name and printer drivers. Download and install them, then refresh the CUPS page.
- In the next window, click Set Default Options.
- You are now done. When you print something, the printer needs your FU-Berlin login credentials. There will be a notification in the dock.
- Open the notification and click on Resume in the menu bar.
- Type your username and password here, prepending the text FU-BERLIN; to your username (Note: Unlike previous versions of MacOS, you have to use a semicolon instead of a backslash to separate the domain name FU-BERLIN and your username). You can tick the option Remember this password in my keychain to have the login credentials stored in the local keychain of your Mac.
- That's it.
List available printers
services/print/macosx.txt · Last modified: 2012/02/04 10:33 by zedv